Gifford C. Cole Middle School Library, 3126 East Avenue I, Lancaster, CA 93535Phone: (661) 946-1041
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 8:00 am-3:20 pm
Wednesday: 8:00 am-2:00 pm
Before-school and after-school library times are reserved for students who are quietly reading, researching, completing school assignments, or using the "silent studio."
To foster the joy of reading, support lifelong learning, and ensure that students and staff are effective users of ideas and information.
Connecting great kids with great books.
Library Media Teacher Goals
- To foster the joy of reading and to support students in lifelong learning.
- To support students in their quest for academic and personal excellence.
- To promote the use of information technology and the critical evaluation of electronic resources.
- To provide leadership, collaboration, and instructional design assistance to teachers.
- To ensure the continued use and support of the library media program.
Information Literacy and Library Skills Lessons
- Information literacy standards and library skills are taught by the library media teacher in three ways:
- as lessons given to students in Language Arts class
- as full-period lessons given to classes by reservation, or
- incorporated into collaborative research projects
- Effective school library programs are based on the California Department of Education's Model School Library Standards.
The Cole Middle School Library serves approximately 700 seventh and eighth grade students with a collection of over 20,000 items.
Policies & Procedures
Cole Library uses Dewey Decimal Classification for the organization of materials. Books may be checked out for up to two weeks, with an opportunity for renewal. Videos are not available to students for check-out, but may be used for research by the student in the library.
Cole Library is administered by a certificated teacher librarian, Debra Sabol. Mrs. Sabol's education includes:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Child Development/Family Relations
- California Multiple Subject Teaching Credential with a Cross-Cultural Language Acquisition Certificate
- Teacher Librarian Credential
- Master of Arts in Education/School Library and Information Technology
- Special Class Authorization in Information & Digital Literacy
Mrs. Sabol has been employed by Eastside Union School District since 1986, having also previously instructed in the fifth and sixth grades.